HUMAN SOUP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'

Go down 
+11
Haunz
the B
Iron Head
QOTR
wattage
\swampman/
newmoon
Bogle the Dark Angel
iyloma
StoneyMaroney
13thAngel
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Bogle the Dark Angel
sat~ANN!!!!
Bogle the Dark Angel

presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 1:15 pm

StoneyMaroney wrote:
Can you say

"You gotta wet the desert" ?

Or does it imply urinating? I just mean water the desert, but that's one syllable too many.

It's not a known expression, but on first reading this I didn't automatically think of urinating! Wink wet the desert ... to water the desert .... yes - that would work ... water the sand .. w(h)et the desert ...??!!

alternative word!! - whet = to increase someone's desire for, or interest in something

just a thought ...

Sorry, I'm rambling .... geek

Oooh - BTW - Stoney - got your parcel yesterday!!! santa family family family family
Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Bogle the Dark Angel wrote:
StoneyMaroney wrote:
Can you say

"You gotta wet the desert" ?

Or does it imply urinating? I just mean water the desert, but that's one syllable too many.

It's not a known expression, but on first reading this I didn't automatically think of urinating! Wink wet the desert ... to water the desert .... yes - that would work ... water the sand .. w(h)et the desert ...??!!

alternative word!! - whet = to increase someone's desire for, or interest in something

just a thought ...

Sorry, I'm rambling .... geek

Oooh - BTW - Stoney - got your parcel yesterday!!! santa family family family family

Cool. Sent it on Monday.
The woman at the postal service said that inner-European customs are not a big deal, really.
There is still a minor VAT problem, but mostly they don't even open anything.
Just outside of Europe, it is complicated.

Btw did everything arrive in a decent state?
I had done a LOT of padding but the parcel got too heavy, and you either pay 2 kg or 30, there's nothign in between Rolling Eyes
So I had to reduce the padding.

Oh, CDs will be 11€ (10 pounds) when they sell em at the tattoo studio, to pay for the shipping,
I guess that's still an OK price since CDs in England are pretty expensive, too, like here...
Back to top Go down
Bogle the Dark Angel
sat~ANN!!!!
Bogle the Dark Angel

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 2:19 pm

StoneyMaroney wrote:
Btw did everything arrive in a decent state?
I had done a LOT of padding but the parcel got too heavy, and you either pay 2 kg or 30, there's nothign in between Rolling Eyes
So I had to reduce the padding.

Oh, CDs will be 11€ (10 pounds) when they sell em at the tattoo studio, to pay for the shipping,
I guess that's still an OK price since CDs in England are pretty expensive, too, like here...

Everything arrived fine - nice padding of some German newspaper - allowed me to practice my crappy language skills some more!!

I tr00ly loved all the christmassy bits and stuff, the grinch picture and the ELVIS on the outside .... "Return-to-sender - Uh-huh!!" made me laff!!

Craig says tanks v much too! ... I pwomiss not to open the one package until 5 weeks today .... oh SHIT - 5 weeeekssss!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked santa farkin 'Ell

oh, and the Dusty CD's at £10 is a perfectly acceptable price metal stoney
Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 6:58 pm

I had to think of just that...you reading the padding.
I do that too when something comes from the US or so Laughing
I even considered using somethign more interesting than the free weekly Smile
Back to top Go down
newmoon

newmoon

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 9:16 pm

OK - super dumb question time...I wasn't losing sleep over this but I was wide awake at 6am thinking about it.
Does Dusty Miller have songs you do singing in German? Or has it always been English for the wider commercial success? scratch I kinda wanna hear how native doom would sound....
Back to top Go down
wattage

wattage

Location : Shufflin' thru the P-town Blue grass. But my Head's in Statesville NC

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 9:37 pm

StoneyMaroney wrote:
*sigh
Searching for drummers sucks. Especially when it's the sixth time.

We made a classified ad and there's only zombies calling us now.

One guy got a facebook page where he says his favorite bands are Dildo for my Valentine,
Limp Bizshit and Killswitch Engay.
Plus he proclaims his IQ is above 130 and he loves his own intelligence. at the same time, he apparently is the "best beerdrinker in the world"
AND loves Starlight Express.
Holy shit. Split personality, anyone?
Plus he makes a pretty nationalistic impression on top of that Neutral Just what we needed lol Very Happy

I had an ad out once looking for a band to join. I got a call from a guy who asked if I could play nickelback, seether, motley crew, godsmack,GNR and greenday

eyehungthephoneup Neutral
Back to top Go down
newmoon

newmoon

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 10:16 pm

newmoon wrote:
OK - super dumb question time...I wasn't losing sleep over this but I was wide awake at 6am thinking about it.
Does Dusty Miller have songs you do singing in German? Or has it always been English for the wider commercial success? scratch I kinda wanna hear how native doom would sound....

Watt buried my question and I do wanna know - so repost What a Face
Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 1:19 am

newmoon wrote:
newmoon wrote:

Watt buried my question and I do wanna know - so repost What a Face

We don't have any songs in German, but that has nothing to do with commercial success.
In fact, a lot of German bands stopped singing in English and switched to German because
that highly improves your odds for commercial success since Rammstein happened.
Also, Germany is among the big three music markets, USA, Germany, Japan.
Singing in english actually lowers our chances to ever gain a penny lol.

I just can't sing in German, it's impossible Laughing Really, I tried.
So I thought a lot about this, it puzzled me myself.

I love German. I think it is a great language for novels.
Goethe, Grass, Hesse, Kafka, Frisch, Lenz...great great stuff to read.
But it's just not a very good language for singing, or maybe just very very special.
You get the Rammstein thing and the Kraftwerk thing...it's more like talking and not very melodic.
Why?
I think it's because German is full of consonants and there's just practically no vowels.
Try to sing a vowel, say, "AAAAAAAAAAAAA"
now try to sing a "T" Laughing
To cope with this, a lot of the more shallow German music involves singing with an artificial foreign accent.
in order to make it singable at all.

On top of that, we have TONS of those celtic sounds, which sound like Orkish...
it's like trying to sing a Welsh village name Laughing

presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 Longest-sign-in-the-world

Another thing is the fact that English is the best language in the world in my book if you want to
express something in a dense way, without being too obvious.
The fact that everybody invaded the British isles gives English the biggest vocabulary (depends on how you count).
If the French got 200.000 words and the Germans got 500.000, the English language contains 1.000.000.

I like to sing about one thing and mean another, or allude to stuff, and German is simply very clear and direct,
which doesn't help at all.

In the end, when I open my mouth and try to sing, English comes out, that's just the way it is.

I guess it's hard to imagine for an American how English is all around us here.
It would never come naturally to an American band to sing in German.
But both the original Blues and the British bands who brought it back to daylight sang in English.
So did the first and the greatest Rock bands and Metal bands.

I've never thought of a single line in German and then translated it, it just wouldn't work.
When I think music, I think English.
The only German bands that really influenced me, like Can, sang in Enlish, too.
There is actually only one single band singing in German that I like, Selig.

What is my culture?
Germany, and Rock and Roll Twisted Evil

The idea of German doom sounds kinda interesting though... dime
Back to top Go down
Bogle the Dark Angel
sat~ANN!!!!
Bogle the Dark Angel

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 10:36 am

bow bow bow bow well said, Stoney - thanks for that - t'was mighty insightful I love you

.... and you even refrained from critising my precious Rammstein whistle Twisted Evil cheers geek Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 1:28 pm

bow bow bow bow well said, Stoney - thanks for that - t'was mighty insightful I love you

.... and you even refrained from critising my precious Rammstein whistle Twisted Evil cheers geek Razz Razz

Hey, I just don't like Rammstein personally.
They do nothing for me. Doesn't mean I have to bash them tongue
Back to top Go down
QOTR

QOTR

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 2:22 pm

Interesting stuff Stoney
Back to top Go down
newmoon

newmoon

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 9:09 pm

Very Happy That is weird and informative and thoroughly answers my question. Thanks for putting the effort into that.

Now to my age old question I always ask fluent dual language people - do you dream in your original language or English - percent-wise if applicable.

Oddly the answers I get are usually based on where you are when dreaming (continent wise).
Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 12:59 am

You just asked something I have been asking myself for a long time, hence the long answer cawfee
As far as the dreaming is concerned: I sometimes have dreams in English or French, but
once I am in the country in question, I get nothing but foreign dreams. I guess it's because
you get back into the flow and try to communicate with people in that language again all of a sudden.
Your brain has to do a whole lot of work then, and probably copes with it at night coffee
Back to top Go down
Iron Head

Iron Head

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 4:49 am

I cranked the record today for the first time in a while.
Mad Mad Mad
Its fucken good!
Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 11:32 am

Thank you thank you, very kind of you, Sir dime
Back to top Go down
13thAngel

13thAngel

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:44 pm

on friday i am putting some money in the paypal account Stoney.....

i gave away a few copies as xmas prezzies cheers

so keep an eye out for it fyah
Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:46 pm

Cool cheers
Back to top Go down
Bogle the Dark Angel
sat~ANN!!!!
Bogle the Dark Angel

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 3:23 pm

Jan - how's the new drummer coming along?? Me and Craig needs to book you guys for teh WEDDING bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce cheers
Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:15 pm

Jan - how's the new drummer coming along?? Me and Craig needs to book you guys for teh WEDDING bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce cheers

Seriously? Shocked

It's going good. We're playing with two others in two weeks, and then we decide, but either way,
the problem seems pretty much solved Cool
Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 7:37 pm

So another guy applied for the "job", a complete PRO Shocked Surprised
Seems pretty nice, eager to play, into our style of music...oh this looks good.
Sudnay is the day. We're gonna jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam What a Face stoney
Back to top Go down
the B

the B

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 7:45 pm

bounce
Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 8:56 pm

bounce
Back to top Go down
Bogle the Dark Angel
sat~ANN!!!!
Bogle the Dark Angel

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:33 am

bounce stoney rob bounce stoney rob bounce stoney rob bounce stoney rob
Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 2:12 pm

The drummer on Sunday was just perfect.
Not only did he drum well, we also jammed on some new riffs and he instantly made great suggestions how to change the riff
while I sing. suddenly the whole song made more sense.
So..we absolutely want tis guy.
Problem is, now we're waiting for him to make a final decision.
I hope he joins us.
Back to top Go down
13thAngel

13thAngel

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 3:51 pm

*fingers crossed broe*

cheers

(and i forgot to put the $ in the account...sorry. i am doing bills now and i f i have any left over...i will do it today Embarassed)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'    presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller' - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

presenting the human soup "houseband"........The Grand Sleep......fromerly known as 'Dusty Miller'
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next