HUMAN SOUP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Henry Rollins tells the truth about...

Go down 
+5
wattage
Erin
the B
Haunz
StoneyMaroney
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
13thAngel

13thAngel

Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Henry Rollins tells the truth about...   Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 3:45 pm

i saw ole Hank on that RuPAuls Drag Race show last night........ Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 Icon_lol Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 Icon_lol to say i was slightly shocked is an understatement Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: Henry Rollins tells the truth about...   Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:09 am

that's interesting, kinda weird but still interesting:

Back to top Go down
Bogle the Dark Angel
sat~ANN!!!!
Bogle the Dark Angel

PostSubject: Re: Henry Rollins tells the truth about...   Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 10:34 am

OK - finally managed to watch both clips of the Henry Rollins thing ... that was excellent - very interesting

Thanks Haunz Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 989565
Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

PostSubject: Re: Henry Rollins tells the truth about...   Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 11:09 am

Hands down, I coulda told you almost everything said in that test, right down to the high femininity score.
Henry Rollins is like an open book, which is partly because of the obvious nature of the damage done to him and on the other hand because he is
100% honest and open in everything he does. He's just great.
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: Henry Rollins tells the truth about...   Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 8:50 pm

an open book, really?

i can honestly say that no one – literally no one – including myself, is an open book for me.

most of the time nothing anyone does makes any sense at all to me.

in the end i am often faced with the question whether some type of behaviour is the result of pure malevolence or of pure stupidity.

and concerning the test: i thought it was interesting but i wouldn't interpret too much into some pictures anyone chose or anyone drew.

people are much too complicated for such simple tests, well, at least they seem to me.
Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

PostSubject: Re: Henry Rollins tells the truth about...   Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 12:32 pm

Haunz wrote:
an open book, really?

i can honestly say that no one – literally no one – including myself, is an open book for me.

most of the time nothing anyone does makes any sense at all to me.

in the end i am often faced with the question whether some type of behaviour is the result of pure malevolence or of pure stupidity.

and concerning the test: i thought it was interesting but i wouldn't interpret too much into some pictures anyone chose or anyone drew.

people are much too complicated for such simple tests, well, at least they seem to me.

I agree, stuff like the fucking Rorschach test makes me angry, especially when it influences decisions on custody.
Yet, I believe that some very rare people like Henry Rollins are just different in that they build up almost no walls.
Think what you will about the test (maybe Ann can tell us mor eabout that kind of stuff), the result underlined my own impression of Henry Rollins.
From his song lyrics to his stand up routine, he's just right in your face and full of self-deprecating humor (and pretty intelligent at that). Of course, he can afford it, too. He's not a politician, rather what he does is based on revealing himself rather than being a LIAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Laughing (God I wanna cover that song).
What any good songwriter (or even artist in general?) does is based on revealing themselves.
It's like all those lyrics by Ian Curtis. Peter Hook said it again and again: "How could we not notice the state he was in when it was all there in his lyrics? Why didn't we just listen for a second to what our singer was singing about?"

How often do people who are really close to you say things like Ian says in Isolation?
That makes the difference to me, and that's why in some cases we feel crushed when someone dies whom we never met in person, and what makes art worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: Henry Rollins tells the truth about...   Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 6:47 pm

i agree and i appreciate your take on art – very interesting!

i never heard much joy division but i just listened to shadowplay and read the lyrics of isolation – it's intense – i like it!

i don't know if the quality of art is based on how much someone reveals himself/herself though.
i mean there are loads of art pieces which are just purely fictional and they are still great. or did you mean reveal his/her own thoughts and so on?
in the case of henry rollins i am really impressed that he actually made himself, his own life, his very own thoughts a piece of art.
as you said, he's pretty honest (i could be wrong of course, but i share your opinion on this). he's not playing any character like sacha baron cohen who plays let's say borat when he goes on letterman or something, but again borat is still great altough he's absolutely fake of course.
i'm not quite sure what you mean with that – concerning the qualtiy of art depending on how much the artist reveals himself/herself scratch

listening to some of henry rollins work always makes me feel better … liar or disconnect for example … i just don't feel so alienated.
some of the most intense moments in my life were when i came to the conclusion that someone who's seemingly very close to me in fact is not, maybe not at all.
i always feel like shit when that happens, disturbed, alienated and absolutely alone.
it's like thoreau wrote: rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth.
Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

PostSubject: Re: Henry Rollins tells the truth about...   Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 12:53 am

You should give Joy Division a try, I love that band to bits...
The movie by Anton Corbijn might be a very good starting point, it's one of my favorite movies ever.
The cut, the angles, the aesthetics, the symbolism, the actors (except the German actress, she's shitty)...it's great.

As far as art being best when the artist reveals something of him or herself, it's really the way I personally see it.
I think that art can have a ficticious subject and still be personal if it is good.
No matter what symbolism you choose, you are expressing yourself or just making up some boring stuff.
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: Henry Rollins tells the truth about...   Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 6:41 pm

Henry Rollins Interview + Spoken Word Toronto 1989:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlErtmN9vaE

cool, rare Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 989565
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: Henry Rollins tells the truth about...   Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 4:35 am

interesting, long and rare conversation from 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8-z7iGi4Dc

Back to top Go down
StoneyMaroney

StoneyMaroney

PostSubject: Re: Henry Rollins tells the truth about...   Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks, that is a great dialogue!
I just finished watching the first 50 minutes, gonna watch the rest tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: Henry Rollins tells the truth about...   Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 7:53 am

maybe i listen too much to this shit Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Henry Rollins tells the truth about...   Henry Rollins tells the truth about... - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Henry Rollins tells the truth about...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2